Anyone who knows me also knows that I have a huge sweet tooth.
One of my favorite things to make is Peanut Butter Fudge. Before I became vegan, I made it with milk and butter. I thought I would have to give it up forever but I just figured out an amazing vegan recipe for it!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- One 14 ounce can of coconut milk – I use the Aroy-D brand
- 2 cups of organic cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon of fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups of natural peanut butter
Here’s what to do:
- Mix the coconut milk and cane sugar together and bring to a boil slowly over a medium heat
- Use a big pot so that it doesn’t overflow onto your stove!
- Stir constantly
- Boil and keep stirring for approximately half an hour or until hardball stage – you will know it has reached the hardball stage if you can drop a small amount of the mixture from a spoon into a cold glass of water and see it change from liquid to more of a solid as it moves through the water
When it has reached the hardball stage, take it off the heat immediately.
Fill your sink with a couple of inches of cold tap water and place the pot into the water. Stir the mixture vigorously with a wooden spoon. You will see it get thicker almost immediately.
Add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla – it will bubble up a little and smell absolutely amazing!
Add fine sea salt to taste while the mixture is still quite hot – I add approximately 1/2 teaspoon – this replicates the buttery taste I love so much in fudge.
Add the peanut butter, 1/2 cup at a time, and keep stirring until it gets quite thick.
Spoon the mixture into a dish and place in the fridge. It will be ready to eat very soon but quite warm. Cut it into squares before it gets too cold with a sharp knife.
Refrigerate until hardened.
If you like your fudge creamier, simply remove the mixture from the stove a little earlier than hardball stage and add less peanut butter. I’ve tried both ways and both are delicious!! The creamy version can be stored in, and eaten straight from, the freezer.
If you have a sweet tooth like me, you won’t be able to get enough of this fudge! 🙂